In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

Registered Users: None

[ View complete list ]

Most users ever online was 142 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:15 pm

<  Religious Education  ~  Noah's Ark

ShannonCC
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Sidekick Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Posts: 10 Location: NJ
A few weeks ago I read my son a book on Noah's Ark and my brain started to hurt, lol!

It just never really hit me before how truly awful this story is. It's usually sanitized and presented to kids as a cute little animal story. My oldest even had a Noah's Ark themed crib and high chair set as a baby. We've still got the blanket around somewhere with cute little cartoon animals sitting on the ark and smiling.

This picture book is a more sober presentation than you usually see (definitely not cutesy) and the illustrations are downright beautiful. There's one page that just HIT me though. It shows whales and fish swimming through the ocean past ghost towns. No bodies or anything, but a beautiful illustration of spooky, empty buildings at the bottom of an ocean, with no sign of human life.

I was reading it to my 7 year old and when I turned to that page it was literally the first time it really occurred to me what a downright mean god that would have to be to kill so many people just because he was angry at them. What kind of a lesson is that for kids? Or anyone? And what kind of a horrible opinion on humanity does someone have to hold to make up such an evil god like *that*?

So anyway, I wanted to share it here.

Oops! I can't post URLs yet. Anyway, it's Noah's Ark by Jerry Pinkney. It's on Amazon, but you can't search through it to see the page.
Recovering Catholic
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Guru Joined: 15 Feb 2007 Posts: 293 Location: Michigan
Noah's Ark is a great story to illustrate the violence of the Bible, and one I like to quote when challenging people who say christianity is about peace and islam is inherently violent. Job is another example of an ego-maniacal god. Lot's wife, Eve... feeding children to a bear for dissing a prophet... rampant incest and infanticide... yeah, the Bible is definately NC-17.

"religion is an utterly human-created construct, reflective of nothing but our hopes and fears set in the amber of our ignorance." ~~Dale McGowan
spark
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Virtuoso Joined: 02 Mar 2007 Posts: 158 Location: Central VA
That sounds like a powerful book! I'll have to take a look at it. Like you, I've never seen a Noah story that didn't sanitize it and make it all about cuddly pairs of animals and a kindly zookeeper. It hadn't even occurred to me until reading your post to think about that. Thank you!

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Virtuoso Joined: 02 Mar 2007 Posts: 158 Location: Central VA
Just looked it up on Amazon - the book won a Caldecott.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Sidekick Joined: 12 Jan 2009 Posts: 11
You might be interested in The Brick Testament (http://www.thebricktestament.com/).
Lilo
ShannonCC
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Sidekick Joined: 12 Sep 2009 Posts: 10 Location: NJ
Acolyte, I've seen that too. I haven't shown the kids yet though. I never thought of Legos as disturbing before I saw that . . .
Lilo
Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Sidekick Joined: 12 Jan 2009 Posts: 11
My son is only 2, so I haven't shown him either, but I use the web site in my college classroom to get students to really think about these stories in ways they haven't before.
Lilo
Colourful.Threads
Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Redshirt Joined: 30 Jul 2009 Posts: 3 Location: Manitoba, Canada
I had one of these same moments earlier this year.

We have often "celebrated" various faith holidays and for a few years our children enjoyed doing Passover.

As a former Christian I never really thought about the whole angel of death thing, but this year as my faith has been dismantled, it suddenly occurred to me that if the killing of the first-borns did happen, it was probably done by people and the markings on the doors would be a signal to those people. Needless to say, when I voiced my thoughts, no one wanted to finish the "celebration."

We realized that many of the celebrations in various faith traditions are based on such tragedies.

Needless to say, finding "holidays" to celebrate has been a real effort in our home!

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Redshirt Joined: 12 Jul 2010 Posts: 2 Location: itinerant
Shannon -

Great story on your realization about the real implications of Noah's Ark! I excerpted your quote in the appendix of my just-posted essay, "Imprinting Is Not Indoctrination" -- you can get there by googling that and the top hit is my essay. I am the webmaster of a website on ways to celebrate the 14 billion year epic of evolution, and I write free downloadable curricula and stories. Google my name, Connie Barlow, and you will get right there as the top hit.